Are you looking for a great way to temporarily escape from the stresses of everyday life? Many would tell you – ourselves included – that one of the best ways is to go camping in the great outdoors.
Whether you’re planning on going in an RV outfitted with the latest cushy technology or you’re going to rough it in a basic tent, there’s no denying that camping can be relaxing. Being able to step outside and be instantly engulfed in the wonders of nature can help you forget all your stress.
But submerging yourself in nature doesn’t mean you need to get rid of all your creature comforts, including coffee. With the best camping French presses that we’ve found, you’ll be able to enjoy a steaming and fresh cup of joe wherever you are.
Here’s what we’ll you inform you on:
- Our picks for the best French presses for camping
- Basic French press features
- What you can consider to help you choose the perfect French press
- Our overall recommendation
BEST CAMPING FRENCH PRESSes
The Bakya 34 Oz French Press Coffee Maker is a marvel of design. If you choose to take this along with you on your camping trip, you can rest assured that you won’t have to treat it delicately.
That’s because it’s made from impressive and durable 304-grade stainless steel. In addition to just looking sleek, the French press is totally resistant to breaking after being dropped or knocked over. Furthermore, it’s rust-proof, so you won’t need to worry about damp conditions tarnishing its gleaming exterior.
It’s also insulated. If you’re planning on sitting back and admiring the scenery while you camp, you won’t need to feel rushed to finish each pot of coffee before it gets cold. You can kick back and savor each sip, knowing your leftovers will be kept warm for as long as possible.
- Material: 304-grade Stainless Steel
- Capacity: 21, 34 & 50 oz
- Cleaning: Dishwasher-safe
- Insulation: This French press has a double-layer vacuum design that keeps your coffee toasty for hours.
- Cool-touch Handle: No matter how hot the temperature of your coffee is, the French press is safe to hold.
- Filtration System: Has four levels, ensuring that your coffee isn’t filled with silty coffee grounds.
- Handle Welding: Because the handle is welded to the beaker, you won’t need to worry about it breaking off with time.
If there’s a drawback to this French press, it’s surely that it’s so large. With a massive 50-ounce capacity, the Belwares French press coffee maker is a bit larger than most of the other ones we picked. However, that means it can make enough coffee to share with your friends and family.
It also has a gorgeous matte black finish. Thanks to its dark coloration, the sun won’t reflect off the stainless steel in the morning and blind you if you’re brewing outside.
Worried that the metal will leave a metallic taste in your coffee? This is something you don’t need to be concerned about, because it’s made out of high-end stainless steel that won’t leave you feeling like you drank liquid metal.
- Material: 304-grade stainless steel
- Capacity: 34 or 50 oz
- Insulation: Double-walled insulation, which keeps your coffee up to temp for long periods of time.
- Filtration System: Has four levels of filtration to ensure you get the smoothest coffee.
- Cool-Touch Exterior: Remains cool to the touch even when it’s filled with hot coffee.
- Color: Non-reflective matte black.
As far as portability goes, the Bodum Travel Press is probably one of the better options out there. As you can see, it’s about the size of a travel mug, which makes it easy to slip into a backpack.
Another benefit to the Bodum Travel Press, though, is that you can choose what color you’d like to purchase it in. This isn’t necessarily vital to the everyday use of the press, but it might be important to you if you’re going for a certain style or you want to use it frequently.
Because it’s essentially a travel mug with a French press built right in, you’ll get all the advantages of a travel mug. That includes a sipping lid that prevents you from spilling any of the scorching coffee on yourself while you drink.
Additionally, the accent wrapping around the middle of the travel mug doubles as a grip. Even if you’re taking a stroll down a hiking trail while you drink, you’ll be able to keep a firm hold on it.
- Material: Available in stainless steel or plastic.
- Capacity: 15 oz
- Insulation: Vacuum-sealed and double-walled construction to keep your coffee or tea hot for up to several hours.
- Good Grip: An accent wrapping around the exterior of the French press allows you to firmly grip it.
- Dishwasher-Safe: You can run it through your dishwasher for a quick and effortless clean.
- Spill-Resistant Lid: Comes with a lid you can drink out of that also prevents messy spills from occurring.
Read Also: Best Keurig Coffee Maker for Travel Mugs
A huge part of camping is knowing how to pack up your gear efficiently. With this Stanley Adventure French press, efficient packing is a snap.
As the name implies, it can handle two different functions: boiling your water and pressing your coffee. Because it can fulfill two different tasks, you won’t need to bring as much along with you when you’re packing for your coffee fix.
Further optimizing its storage capability is the fact that it’s convenient handle folds into the side. That makes it take up far less space in your backpack, freeing up room for other necessities.
- Material: Stainless steel
- Capacity: 32 oz
- Insulation: No
- Folding Handle: The handle tucks into the side of the French press, condensing the amount of room it takes up in your bags.
- Dishwasher-Safe: You can safely run the Stanley French press through your dishwasher if you don’t want to wash it by hand.
- Multifunctionality: You can use the Stanley Adventure press to boil, brew, and cook, which means you won’t need to pack as many appliances for your trip.
Another outstanding example of portability, the ESPRO French press is conveniently travel-sized. Its 12-ounce capacity means it’s petite enough to fit into bags of virtually any size. What’s more, you can easily hold it in one hand as you admire the scenery.
One thing that sets it apart from other travel mug/French presses is that it’s available in multiple colors. Again, color doesn’t really affect your brewing at all, but it’s a nice touch if you’re buying multiple to share with family or you just have a particular aesthetic in mind.
If you’re concerned about BPA or phthalate in materials, you won’t need to worry about that, either. The stainless steel construction of this French press is free of BPA and other chemicals you can sometimes find in food or drink containers.
- Material: Stainless steel
- Capacity: 12 oz
- Insulation: Dual-wall, which keeps coffee and tea hot for hours.
- Color Options: The French press comes in a small variety of stylish colors.
- Extra-Fine Filters: Because it uses two filters that are finer than average, you won’t end up with grounds in your drink.
- 360-Degree Drink Lid: Allows you to drink on the move without worrying about spills and drips.
Stanley makes a splash in the world of French press coffee once again with their Classic Travel Press. This sleek green portable French press could be your new best friend on the hiking trail.
Crafted out of two layers of stainless steel, you can trust that it’s one of the most durable options out there. The outer layer is painted a soothing green that would only look perfect amidst the backdrop of a beautiful natural setting.
What’s more, the French press is covered by an impressive lifetime warranty. If there are defects in your French press, you can rest assured that Stanley will be happy to help you.
- Material: Stainless steel
- Capacity: 16 oz
- Insulation: Vacuum-sealed insulation to keep your drinks warm for up to four hours.
- Color: A crisp and cool Hammertone green.
- Dishwasher-Safe: Don’t have time to wash it out by hand? Just toss it in your dishwasher.
- Lifetime Warranty: If there are any defects in the French press, you can rest easy knowing Stanley covers it under a lifetime warranty.
- Leak-Proof: A leak-proof design ensures you won’t drip coffee all over other things you’ve packed.
With the Mueller French Press, we’re back to large-size French presses designed to serve a small gathering of people. This one has a generous 34-ounce capacity that means you’ll have enough coffee to spare…or to sip by yourself over the course of a few hours.
One thing we especially love about this French press is that they’ve thought of everything. It even comes with a stainless steel canister that you can use to bring your own grounds or beans along with you.
Furthermore, it’s designed to be thicker than most competitors’ French presses. Because of this, not only does it keep your coffee hot longer, but it can resist the rigors of the wild. It won’t break when you drop it or bump it, and it won’t rust with time.
- Material: Extra-thick stainless steel.
- Capacity: 32 oz
- Insulation: Double-walled and increased thickness to keep coffee warm.
- Increased Durability: The thick stainless steel can stand up to just about any test, whether it’s falls, bumps, and rust.
- Multifunctionality: Aside from coffee, you can use it to make tea or nut milk, increasing its usefulness.
- Coffee Canister: Includes a tough coffee canister perfect for storing your favorite blend.
Are you looking to turn your campsite into a home away from home? Aside from comfort, look could make a huge difference, too. And if it’s aesthetics you’re searching for, we can’t help but recommend the Poliviar French Press Coffee Maker.
This is, without a doubt, one of the best-looking French presses on this list. Its speckled exterior and wooden plunger and handle simply look like something you’d find in a cozy kitchen. We have no doubts that it will help bring a homey feel to your tent or RV, too.
Looks aside, it’s also just plain useful. Its double filter system will help keep grounds out of your coffee, and its kitchen-grade stainless steel construction is tough.
You’ll probably want to keep this one on proud display, not only so you can show it off, but also because you’ll want to keep using it to make coffee.
- Material: Stainless steel.
- Capacity: 34 oz
- Insulation: Double-walled and vacuum-sealed to preserve the heat for as long as possible.
- Teak Handle and Plunger: The teak wooden handle and plunger add a beautiful, homey touch to the aesthetic of the French press.
- Double Filtration: Helps keep grounds out of your beverage.
- Interior Scale Lines: Lines on the inside of the French press make it simple to measure out exactly as much water as you need.
Important French Press Features
Lid with Plunger and Filter
Unlike other types of coffee makers which may have all kinds of electronic components, French presses are amazingly simple. One of the most important pieces is the lid, which usually has a plunger and a filter.
This piece is why French press coffee is so flavorful. It allows the grounds and the water to mingle for longer than a standard coffee maker, which simply passes the water through the grounds.
A better filter on the plunger can also help protect your coffee from lingering grounds. When it’s in place, you just push down on the plunger to steep the coffee grounds in the water.
Base with Handle and Pour Spout
The second common feature of a French press is, of course, the pitcher. Like a tea kettle, it holds the liquid, allowing you to transfer it to cups through a pour spout.
This part can be made from many different materials depending on the design, including plastic, ceramic, glass, or metal.
Some bases are even insulated, which allows you to enjoy a warm batch even longer.
How to Choose the Best French Press for Your Camping Trip
It’s easy to have an accident while you’re out camping. Uneven ground, various weather conditions, and possibly even animals can interfere with your use of appliances.
Given all the factors you can’t control in the outdoors, you’ll likely want a French press that’s sturdy. Most of the time, this comes down to the material it’s made out of.
We think one of the best materials for camping would be stainless steel. It’s naturally resistant to rust, and it won’t shatter if it gets dropped.
Nowadays, many people go camping in RVs that are basically just homes on wheels. Because of this, it’s not uncommon for people to have access to kitchen appliances on the go. This is perfect when it comes to French presses, because many of them can save you time on the cleanup by being dishwasher-safe.
Even if you don’t have access to a dishwasher while you’re camping, though, it’s nice to have a French press that’s dishwasher-safe. You can always rinse it out while you’re at the campsite, then let your dishwasher do the heavy lifting once you get home.
Read Also: Best Keurig for RVs
Another thing to consider is the size of your French press. There are at least a couple reasons why this is worth thinking about.
For starters, think about packing for a camping trip. Unless you have a giant RV for storage purposes, you’ll need to pack your gear as efficiently as possible. A smaller French press will be much easier to pack up.
However, if you’re traveling with others, size can be important because it determines how many servings of coffee you can make at once. If you’re planning on sharing with your group, you’ll need more than a measly 16 ounces of coffee.
Finally, you should think about insulation as you search for a camping French press. Camping is often about relaxing and living in the moment. Usually, this doesn’t mean rapidly chugging cup after cup of coffee – it means kicking back and savoring a steaming cup while you look out over the lake or woods.
The problem is, your coffee will get unpleasantly cold if you don’t drink it fast. This can leave you feeling rushed each time you brew a batch.
This is why insulation is important. Some French presses are designed with double walls or insulation layers. These designs give you more time to savor each drink by keeping your leftovers warm for you.
We hope we showed you some excellent French press options for your next camping trip. All the options on this list combine convenience and durability so you can rely on them wherever you travel.
If you’re still not sure which one to pick, our recommendation is the Mueller French Press. Not only is it long-lasting and capable of serving small groups of people, but it comes with a lovely storage container for your coffee beans.