Are you looking for an easy, beginner-friendly way to make yourself fresh coffee? French presses could be exactly what you need.
However, if you’re looking to provide coffee for your friends or your whole family, you might be disappointed to find that many French presses are simply too small. The good news is, there are large capacity French presses out there if you know where to look.
Better yet, we certainly knew where to look for you. We’ll be showing you our findings in this list of the best extra large French presses.
Best Extra Large French Presses
First up on our list is the impressively sized Belwares French press. Whereas many French presses are 34 ounces or less, this one has an amazing 50-ounce capacity. Think of it this way: if the average cup of coffee is around 8 ounces, you’ll be able to serve at least six cups with this press.
Better yet, those cups will all be delightfully smooth. Thanks to the press’s four-level filtration system, pesky coffee grounds are kept out of your refreshing beverages.
Want to take this press along for a trip? That’s no problem, because it’s made from long-lasting 304-grade stainless steel. It can survive bumps, drops, and any manner of accident without breaking a sweat.
- Capacity: 34 or 50 oz.
- Material: 304-grade stainless steel.
- Four-Level Filtration System: You won’t need to worry about your coffee being gritty with this press, because it has four layers of filtering.
- Size Options: If you’ve decided you’d prefer a smaller French press, you have the option of getting this one in the smaller 34-ounce size.
- Dual Wall Construction: A double-walled construction gives this press the ability to keep your coffee up to temp even longer.
Want to know which French presses are best for hitting the road with you? We’ve got you covered with our guide to the best camping French presses.
There’s no mistaking the look of refinement the Secura French press has. We’d be willing to bet that’s at least one of the reasons why it’s been so popular with users.
Another reason for its popularity might be the fact that all of its parts are dishwasher-safe. It’s not every day you find a French press that’s as easy to clean as this one. You won’t need to sit in front of your kitchen sink, slowly washing it by hand, because you’ll have the ability to run it through a dishwasher cycle.
As if that weren’t enough, consider the fact that it has a handle and plunger knob that stay cool during use. No matter how hot the coffee you’re brewing is, you can pour from the press without having to worry about burning yourself.
- Capacity: 34 or 50 oz.
- Material: Stainless steel.
- Stay-Cool Handle: With some French presses, you have to handle them carefully. That’s not the case with this one, because its handle and plunger knob never overheat.
- Two Available Sizes: More choices is almost always better, and this French press gives you the ability to chooses between a small and large size.
- Easy Cleaning: If you hate the cleanup stage, you’ll be able to take a break with this French press, since it can go through your dishwasher.
Your kitchen is an important part of your home. On average, you’ll likely spend three meals a day there, so it should be a room you enjoy being in. With that in mind, there’s no reason why you couldn’t choose a particularly beautiful French press like this Bodum one.
You’ll have the option of getting it in a crisp, clear glass or with a shatterproof SAN material. Either way, the overall look is the same: elegant, transparent, and almost crystalline.
Additionally, you’ll get your first cup even quicker with this Bodum French press. From start to finish, you can anticipate it will take no more than four minutes for this press to prepare an invigorating batch of coffee for you.
This is also the most versatile French press on this list in terms of size. It comes in four different sizes, the largest of which is a generous 51 ounces.
- Capacity: 12, 17, 34, and 51 oz.
- Material: Glass or shatterproof SAN.
- Color Options: The lid and accents are available in several different colors and materials, so you can effectively customize the appearance of your French press.
- Four Sizes: With four different sizes, you can easily find a press that’s large or small enough.
- Quick Brewing: You’ll never have to wait too long to get your first cup of coffee – it can brew in just four minutes.
- BPA-Free: The materials used to make the French press are BPA-free, so you don’t need to worry about chemicals leaking into your coffee.
Like the look of glass French presses? Then you’ll love the Bodum Brazil French press, which is made from heat-resistant borosilicate glass.
The handle and the plunger knob, on the other hand, are made from BPA-free polypropylene. This is a sturdy type of plastic known for its longevity.
Such tough materials mean that this another example of a French press that you can put in your dishwasher. As a result, you could save a lot of time that you would otherwise have to spend washing it out by hand after each use.
- Capacity: 12, 34, or 51 oz.
- Material: Polypropylene and heat-resistant glass.
- Multiple Sizes: Because you can get it in three different sizes, you can be sure you have as much as you need. There’s even an option to get it as a three-piece set that includes a kettle and a grinder.
- Two Different Colors: You can get the French press in a sleek black or vibrant red color.
- Dishwasher-Safe: Save time on the cleanup by washing the press in your dishwasher.
If you’re still searching for a larger French press, the SterlingPro could be the end of your search. It’s sold in three different sizes, and the largest one can brew up to 59 ounces of coffee.
They also use a special dual filter system to keep grains of coffee out of your cup. No more feeling coffee grit in your mouth, because the SterlingPro promises a grit-free experience.
Still unsure? There’s no risk to giving this SterlingPro French press a try, because it has a 30-day money back guarantee. You can always test the press and return it within that timeframe if you don’t like it.
- Capacity: 34, 44, or 59 oz.
- Material: 304-grade stainless steel.
- Dual-Screen Design: An innovative and trend-setting dual-screen design helps keep your coffee free of granules.
- 30-Day Money Back Guarantee: If you don’t like the French press, you can return it within 30 days of purchase for a refund.
- Cool-Touch Base: Do you have curious kids or pets in your home? This French press stays cool on the outside, so you won’t need to be concerned about it scorching anyone who brushes against it.
Important French Press Features
The first important feature of a French press is its lid. This lid has a hole in the center that the plunger and filter go through. A knob at the top allows you to pull and push the plunger down comfortably when it comes time to pour.
There honestly aren’t many variations in this design, since it’s fairly simple. You’ll see differing numbers of filters on the plunger. You may also sometimes see that the lid is thicker, which helps seal the press tightly and lock the heat and aroma inside.
Another feature to keep an eye on when it comes to French presses is the base. This is where you’ll see the greatest variation in design.
You can find French press beakers in just about any color, material, and size. There are benefits and drawbacks to each material, which we’ll discuss in more detail below. The most common materials, however, are ceramic, stainless steel, and glass.
There should also be a handle attached to the base. If you’re concerned about getting burnt by your press, you may want to look for one with a no-burn handle.
Choosing the Best Extra-Large French Press for You
Most French presses come in one of three materials: ceramic, glass, and stainless steel. There are reasons to choose any of those types, as well as drawbacks.
Stainless steel is one of the most common types of French presses you’ll see. This is because it’s remarkably durable, as well as good at keeping your coffee nice and toasty. It’s not uncommon to find stainless steel French presses that can go in your dishwasher because they’re rust-proof.
Ceramic French presses are also quite popular. Because they can be glazed and painted like other pottery pieces, they tend to be very pretty. Furthermore, they’re well-known for their ability to keep your coffee up to temperature.
Glass is another attractive material. The drawback is obvious, though: it can be susceptible to breaking, which means it’s more suitable for use at home than outdoors.
The plunger is what makes a French press a French press and not just another kettle. And one thing that makes the plunger functional is the presence of filters on it.
Filters are fine mesh rings that rest on the end of the plunger. As you press the plunger down, they’re designed to capture all the coffee grounds, which means you won’t end up with them floating around in your cup.
Ideally, you should have more than one filter in your French press. Some high-quality French presses will have two or more to make an extra-smooth cup of coffee.
Just as they come in all sorts of materials and sizes, so, too, do French presses come in a range of colors and patterns. Your home is oftentimes a place that you’ve spent a lot of time decorating. You might have even spent time making sure your appliances match.
For that reason, you can certainly choose a French press that appeals to you visually, as well. There’s no shortage of attractive options to select, whether it’s sleek stainless steel or unique ceramic.
Finally, a good French press will conserve the warmth in your coffee as long as possible. There are a few different ways that this can be accomplished.
Some French presses, for instance, will have double walls. Double wall French presses are excellent at conserving the heat inside because they’re not thin.
Other French presses might have extra-thick walls. Like double wall ones, this means they’re not thin and won’t leak heat.
As you look at French presses, be sure to check out what kind of insulation they have. This is especially important if you’re the type of person who likes to take time savoring each cup.
If we could only recommend one extra-large French press on this list, we’d have to go with the Bodum Chambord French Press Coffee Maker. At the end of the day, we feel like it gives you the most options, so you can be sure you purchase what is truly the perfect French press for you specifically.
Size, color, and even material are all things you’re able to choose with this French press. We feel confident that, once you’ve considered all those aspects, you will end up with the French press that fits your needs.