If you look closely at most products these days, you’ll find that the majority of them are made in China. Those who aim to support local American businesses might find this disappointing.
It seems as if it’s getting increasingly hard to find USA-made products. Is this the same for French presses? Can you find French presses made in America?
In this post, we’ll be diving deep into the topic of USA French presses and whether or not they exist.
Let’s get started…
Do USA-Made French Presses Exist?
We’ll get the big question out of the way: do USA-made French presses exist? In short, the answer is not really.
You may occasionally find French presses both designed and manufactured in the United States, such as the Big Sky Bistro French Press. However, these French presses are few and far between.
Generally, the design for a French press will be created in one place, such as the USA, and then it’s actually manufactured in a country like Taiwan or China. The reason for this is to save on manufacturing costs.
This doesn’t necessarily mean that the French presses in question are low in quality. The companies selling them work to ensure each French press is up to their standards. In fact, there are numerous high-end presses manufactured in China.
Occasionally, you may even find French presses made in other countries, such as the Portuguese Bodum French Press.
Best Alternative French Presses
We’ll prove that there are many quality French presses made in other countries by showing you some of our favorites below. Keep reading to see our picks, as well as why we chose them.
A well-loved French press among its many owners, this Mueller press is filled to the brim with thoughtful features. For starters, consider its double-insulated design. Thanks to its two durable stainless steel walls, the warmth of your coffee is sealed in so it stays hot for up to an hour longer than in other models.
Next, consider its multi-layer filtration system. French press coffee tends to get gritty from the coffee grounds that steeped in the water, but this press was created to stop the grounds from ending up in your cup.
Finally, it comes with a nice little extra: a small stainless steel coffee canister. Pack it with a couple additional servings of coffee and seal it up so you have just about anything you need to brew wherever you go.
- Capacity: 34 oz.
- Material: Stainless steel.
- Coffee Canister: The press comes with a complimentary coffee jar that stores a couple servings of coffee for you.
- Double-Wall Insulation: Due to its two stainless steel walls, the Mueller press keeps your coffee hot even longer.
- Multi-Layer Filtration: Every single cup you drink will be smooth, since the Mueller’s fine mesh screens stop the grounds from mixing in your beverage.
- Cool-Touch Handle: You won’t need to risk a burn to pour yourself a cup, because the handle always stays cool.
Read Also: Best Double Wall French Press
If you think the Secura French press looks like all its other competitors, you would be mistaken. This is a model we’ve included in several of our French press guides, like our list of best unique French presses.
That’s because it’s sold in several different colors and sizes. With all the options available in this French press alone, it’s almost like you’re purchasing one that was specifically made for you.
We also appreciate how it comes with an extra stainless steel screen. You can keep it on hand as a future replacement for the original or stack it on top right away to double the layers of filtration in the press.
- Capacity: 12, 17, 34, or 50 oz. (Note: the available sizes depends on the color you choose.)
- Material: Stainless steel.
- Color Options: It’s one of the most visually versatile French presses we’ve found because it’s sold in so many attractive colors.
- Dishwasher-Safe: Hate washing dishes? The Secura will save you dishwashing time, since it can be washed in your dishwasher.
- Bonus Screen: Comes with an extra screen so you can increase its filtration abilities.
- Safety Handle and Knob: Both the plunger knob and the handle will never burn you.
Searching for a quality stainless steel French press? The Bakya is a wonderful choice for you, then.
Made entirely from 304-grade stainless steel, its durability is trustworthy. The material also allows it to incorporate the double-walled design which prevents the warmth from escaping your coffee.
We also think this press is remarkably durable due to its welded handle. Look closely at the handle on the side, and you’ll see that it’s been welded to the press. It’s not going to fall apart any time soon – if ever.
- Capacity: 21, 34, or 50 oz.
- Material: 304 stainless steel.
- Welded Handle: Since the handle is welded to the side, it won’t ever come loose.
- Beveled Lid: The lid is extra-thick, which allows it to seal in heat.
- Cool-Touch Exterior: Instead of just the handle, the whole exterior of the press is safe to touch, even when there’s hot coffee inside it.
- Vacuum Insulation: Thanks to its vacuum insulation, the press preserves your coffee’s heat for a long time.
Those who find the look of a stainless steel French press a little too basic might prefer this elegant Ceramic Marble press. It’s made from ceramic but is painted to look like luxurious marble.
On top of the beautiful marble-patterned press, you’ll find a bamboo lid with a rubber seal. In addition to looking refined, the lid helps lock in the heat with its seal wrapped around the edge.
As a bonus, you’ll even get two marble-patterned coffee mugs along with the press. You’ll have just about everything you need to sit back with a friend or family member and enjoy a freshly brewed batch of coffee.
- Capacity: 28 oz.
- Material: Ceramic, bamboo, and stainless steel.
- Rubber Seal: A rubber seal wrapped around the lid holds in the heat of your coffee.
- Coffee Mugs: Includes two gorgeous and stylish coffee mugs that match the press.
- Bamboo Lid: The lid is made from an attractive bamboo that increases the elegance of the press.
- Dishwasher-Safe: If you don’t have time to wash it by hand, you can run it through your dishwasher.
We know many people don’t just leave their coffee at home. Some need to take it on the go with them to provide them energy and comfort while they go about their day.
In that case, let us introduce you to the Bodum Travel Press. As its name implies, it is a completely portable French press that allows you to brew coffee while you’re on the move.
Plus, it’s sold in four sleek colors. You can probably find one that fits perfectly with your style.
- Capacity: 15 oz.
- Material: Stainless steel and silicone.
- Color Options: The press comes in four different chic colors.
- Vacuum-Sealed: With double walls and vacuum insulation, you can be sure your coffee’s temperature will be preserved for hours.
- Silicone Grip: A grip wrapped around the body of the mug makes it easier for you to hold onto it.
- Dishwasher-Friendly: At the end of the day, you’ll have more time to relax because you can just put the cup in your dishwasher instead of washing it manually.
This press is further proof that stainless steel doesn’t have to mean boring. With a few different color options, the paint on the Poliviar makes it look as if it were lovingly sculpted from ceramic.
Furthermore, the handle and plunger knob are both made from German teak wood. It adds a touch of warmth to the aesthetic of the press, in addition to being safe to handle while there’s hot coffee inside.
- Capacity: 34 oz.
- Material: Stainless steel and wood.
- Internal Fill Lines: Fill lines on the inside of the press tell you exactly how much water to add without overfilling.
- Dual Filters: Twice the filtration means you’ll have smoother cups of coffee.
- Double-Wall Insulation: Each batch you brew will stay warmer even longer with the two stainless steel walls.
- Teak Wood Handle and Knob: The handle and knob of the press give it an entirely unique look.
- Color Choices: Because it’s sold in a few colors, you’ll have some choices in the aesthetic of this French press.
How to Pick the Best French Press for You
One thing we always recommend starting with when it comes to choosing a French press is the size. French presses tend to be anywhere from 12 ounces to 50 ounces in capacity.
Determine how much coffee you really need on a day-to-day basis, as well as how much space you have for the press. A larger capacity French press is suitable for anyone looking to share with their friends, but will take up more room.
On the other hand, a smaller French press could be better for traveling and for personal use.
Read Also: Best One Cup French Presses
Another thing you should think about is what your ideal press is made from. There are a few materials and they each have their own benefits.
Stainless steel is perfect for traveling because it’s extra-tough. Furthermore, it keeps your coffee well-insulated, so you have more time to enjoy each cup you make.
Ceramic is perfect when aesthetics are one of your foremost concerns. That’s because ceramic French presses can be glazed and coated in beautiful finishes that are sure to make them the stars of your kitchen.
You can also choose a glass French press. We think they’re best for anyone searching for a vintage French press, because they have an old-fashioned look. Additionally, their transparency allows you to see how much coffee is left inside them at all times.
The quality of the French press’s insulation is always worth thinking about. Unless you drink each cup or batch fast, you probably want a press that can keep your coffee warm.
Oftentimes, this is affected most heavily by the material. Stainless steel and ceramic are the best when it comes to insulation. That’s because stainless steel often has double walls, while ceramic uses non-porous finishes to prevent heat from escaping.
One of the biggest grievances coffee lovers have with French press style coffee is that it can get grainy. To brew in this fashion, you need to let the coffee grounds mingle with your water for 4-6 minutes, then filter them out when you pour.
This is why you should pay attention to how thorough a French press’s filter is. In the best designs, your press should have more than a single filtering layer.
USA-made French presses may not be easy to find, but you can rest assured knowing that there are many other viable options out there. A large number of them go above merely being viable – they’re excellent.
Our personal favorite that we listed here was the Secura French Press. It’s crafted from quality stainless steel and comes in several fashionable colors. Plus, with the addition of a bonus filter, you can be sure that it will produce grit-free cups of coffee for you.