Brand name can be especially important when it comes to purchasing any appliance.
You want to make sure you’re investing in something you can trust. Well-known brands often give us a guarantee that we can depend on our purchases from them.
La Marzocco and Rancilio are two examples of solid espresso machine brands. How do you decide which one is better for you?
To make your decision easier, we'll compare La Marzocco vs Rancilio.
We’ll provide you information on:
- The history of each brand
- What these brands specialize in
- How to decide if a La Marzocco machine or Rancilo machine is right for you
- Our picks for the top home espresso machines from either brand
La Marzocco was founded in Florence, Italy in 1927 by Giuseppe and Bruno Bambi.
It’s a company proud to note that it was born in the same city as famous artists like Leonardo da Vinci. This pride in its artful lineage shows in their espresso machines.
A real trailblazer in the espresso industry, La Marzocco was the first to create a machine with a horizontal boiler. This is a design now widely used around the world.
They have continued to inspire trends with their innovative creations ever since.
You can delve deeper into the history of this legendary manufacturer here.
Like La Marzocco, Rancilio is an Italian manufacturer with almost a century of experience in the industry. You can rest assured when you get a Rancilio model that you’re getting quality.
Founded in the 1920’s, they have consistently created espresso machines and grinders that meet just about any budget. They expanded to North America in the 1960’s, and have been a strong competitor ever since.
Take a look at our page for all things Rancilio here.
One of the things La Marzocco is best known for is creating luxury home espresso machines.
As a result, when you buy anything La Marzocco, you’re getting a combination of form and function in an artistic manner that always conveys opulence.
However, just because their machines are typically gorgeous doesn’t mean that they’re any less powerful. La Marzocco machines are generally sturdy workhorses that can speed through crafting drinks in no time at all.
Many high-end espresso machines are beyond the means of most home users.
Fortunately, Rancilio builds machines with a wide array of features and types to fit every budget.
The Rancilio products we have in our store, for example, are each incredibly inexpensive and high-quality. Furthermore, they are user-friendly and well-matched with beginning espresso enthusiasts.
Which one is better for you?
To begin with, you can get a solid espresso machine from either brand. It’s not necessarily correct to say one is certainly better than the other.
As with anything else, there are specific reasons you might choose one. For example, you could consider the average cost coming from either manufacturer.
If you need the most affordable machine possible, you’ll find some fantastic budget Rancilio models. Rancilio even makes an inexpensive espresso grinder that we sell
However, those who are searching for a luxury espresso machine or who have a less restrictive budget can find a great match in the huge range of La Marzocco options.
The overall style of a brand is something else that you may be interested in.
There’s nothing wrong with preferring the look of a specific espresso machine over another one. Since espresso machines tend to be a larger expenditure, it's not unreasonable to ask that they match your decor.
La Marzocco tends to make classic-looking builds that are reminiscent of traditional espresso machines. If vintage is your thing, then you should consider one of these types.
Rancilio, on the other hand, incorporates a lot of modern stainless steel shine with black accents. These models will generally blend in very well with kitchens that have other steel appliances.
Top La Marzocco Espresso Machines
La Marzocco Linea Mini
Looking for a compact espresso machine that doesn’t sacrifice high-end features? The Linea Mini is the answer.
Its hearty 3.5-liter steam boiler will have no problem steaming back-to-back drinks for a whole family or gathering of friends. Because it also has a separate brewing boiler, you’ll also be able to pull your shot as you froth your milk.
Get this one if you’re in need of a speedy and powerful machine that will allow you to quickly make coffee shop hits like lattes.
- Machine Type: Semiautomatic Paddle brew system
- Groups: 1
- Plumbing: Pour-over
- Boiler: Dual boiler
- Dimensions: 15 inches tall, 14 inches wide, and 21 inches deep
- Best Uses: Home
- Integrated Brew Group: The group on the Linea Mini is attached to the brew boiler, so heat loss from the water moving to the group head for extraction is drastically reduced. No need to worry about temperature fluctuations ruining your espresso.
- Barista Lights: Work safely and comfortably in low-light rooms with the barista lights built next to the group head.
- Complimentary Branded Pitcher: Who doesn’t like getting a little extra with their purchase? Along with the Linea Mini, you’ll get a complimentary La Marzocco-branded milk pitcher that pairs beautifully with the machine.
- Stepped Temperature Wheel: Draw out additional flavors from each kind of blend by tweaking the temperature with this easy to use temperature wheel.
Want a machine like the Linea Mini? We don't have it in the Majesty Coffee store, but we do have the La Spaziale S1 Mini Vivaldi II as an alternative. It's also remarkably compact with a strong dual boiler system and pour-over plumbing design.
You can also check out our complete La Marzocco collection by clicking here. We may have another La Marzocco machine that you'll love.
Top Rancilio Espresso Machines
Crafting delicious espresso at home doesn’t need to be expensive, and the Rancilio Silvia is proof.
On top of being incredibly inexpensive, this machine is perfect for those just learning how to make espresso. That’s because it of its removable pod kit.
When you use the pod kit, you don't need to grind your espresso. That saves you from having to buy a separate espresso grinder.
If you ever feel like you’re ready to stop using pods, then you can remove the pod kit at any time. In a way, it’s like the Silvia can grow along with you.
- Majesty Coffee Price: $715
- Machine Type: Semiautomatic
- Groups: 1
- Plumbing: Pour-over
- Boiler: Single
- Dimensions: 13.75 inches high, 9.25 inches wide, and 11.25 inches deep
- Best Uses: Home
- Boiler Insulation: The thermal wrapping on the Silvia’s boiler guarantees this machine won’t need to work as hard to stay up to temperature. The boiler is so energy efficient, it will save you up to 8% in energy when the machine is in its standby setting.
- Removable Pod Kit: Don’t have any experience making espresso? The removable pod kit will simplify the process for you by keeping you from having to deal with grinding your own espresso.